Scholarship Program – 2022 Program Opens in March
Every year, our Scholarship Program awards a total of $16,000 to eligible post-secondary students with ties to the direct selling industry, to help them advance their post-secondary education.
The Scholarship Program helps to raise awareness of the direct selling model both with students and academia. It consists of six $2,000 scholarships awarded to eligible children or grandchildren of active independent sales consultants (ISCs) of DSA Canada member companies or ISCs who themselves are students. It also awards one $2,000 scholarship to an eligible child of a DSA Canada member company employee. Additionally, two $1,000 grants are also awarded to the academic institution of the top two scholarship recipients.
These scholarships are made possible by funding from the DSA and leadership of the Direct Selling Education Foundation of Canada (DSEF). Scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of the impact direct selling has had on their life, academic performance, faculty recommendation, extracurricular activities/community involvement and employment experience.
The application is a two-stage process. To qualify, applicants must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Submitted the application form by May 31, 2021.
- I am or have a parent, grandparent or legal guardian that is an active independent distributor/representative/consultant for a DSA member company OR have a parent or legal guardian that is a full time permanent employee of a member company. (Representative must provide a valid representative number and identify DSA member company).
- Representative and DSA member company must be in good standing as of the application deadline.
- Full-time student registered in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian college or university entering the second, third or fourth year or enrolled in a three or four year CEGEP or technical school program. Students entering first year in September 2021 are not eligible.
- Only those selected for stage 2 will be notified by July 10, 2021
- Provide most recent college/university transcript (does not need to be an official transcript).
- Provide proof of enrollment in an accredited Canadian college or university program.
- Provide Letter of Reference from Faculty Member.
- Provide video application/testimonial.
The DSA has awarded six (6) $2,000 scholarships to both deserving children and grandchildren of active Independent Sales Consultants (ISCs) of DSA Member Companies and ISCs who themselves are students. The DSA has also awarded one (1) scholarship of $2,000 to a deserving child of a DSA Member Company employee.
The seven recipients of the 2021 DSA Canada Scholarships are:
- Janae Richards, Amway Canada, University of Calgary
- Khrystyna Ostrovsky, Arbonne International Canada, University of Saskatchewan
- Megan O’Donnell, SeneGence, University of Toronto
- Owen Smith, USANA Health Sciences, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Asha Subramaniam, Stampin’ Up!, McMaster University
- Aaron Born, Mary Kay, University of Calgary
- Raveen Appuhamy, Mary Kay, McMaster University
In recognition of their achievements, this year’s top two students, Janae Richards from the University of Calgary and Raveen Appuhamy from McMaster University, will also see a $1,000 grant awarded to each of their schools.